Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to building a diverse and inclusive community in which people of all cultural backgrounds and life experiences are supported and valued. VCU has reinforced that commitment through its core values and mission statement and in our existing and future strategic plans.
Our institutional commitment is reflected in the establishment of VCU Inclusive Excellence in 2013 and the expansion of the program into the Office of Institutional Equity, Effectiveness and Success in 2021.
Diversity is among our greatest assets at VCU, and our effort to create and sustain an equitable and inclusive environment is the best approach toward leveraging this asset into universal excellence and success.
What we do
VCU's Office of Inclusive Excellence is responsible for actualizing diversity initiatives that foster a welcoming community and support all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, political affiliation, veterans’ status and disability. This includes:
- Promoting and fostering a climate of equity, diversity and inclusiveness
- Leading efforts to strengthen VCU’s core mission and culture of inclusion and diversity
- Engaging in promoting awareness and advocacy for the LGBTQIA+ community
- Providing diversity education and consultation to increase awareness, knowledge and skills
- Serving as a campus and community resource on issues of access, diversity, excellence and inclusion
Our programs and events include workshops, presentations and courses that enhance understanding of diversity. We also provide mentoring, seminars, consultation and professional development to support diverse faculty in securing external funding to advance their research agendas.