VCU honorees recognized at the 2017 PACME Celebration
The annual Presidential Awards for Community Multicultural Enrichment recognize contributions and efforts made toward enhancing the goals of inclusive excellence and VCU’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
This year's celebration was held on April 20, 2017, honoring our 2017 PACME winners: Wendy Kliewer, Ph.D., Charlene Crawley, Ph.D., Austin Higgs, Selamawit Hailu, and Sasha Spruill. This year's event featured remarks from VCU President Michael Rao, Ph.D., and Rosalyn Hobson Hargraves, Ph.D., associate vice president for inclusive excellence. Pictures from this year's event will be posted here soon. Read more about the 2017 PACME Celebration here.
PACME specifically recognizes those VCU and VCU Health System individuals and groups who have made exemplary contributions with regard to promoting civility, building community, establishing cross-cultural initiatives, advocating equity, and nurturing a welcoming and inclusively excellent environment throughout the VCU community. The awards recognize those who go above and beyond the routine expectations of the individual or group’s position.
Award criteria includes:
- Contributions or efforts to enhance the goal of affirmative action and/or racial, ethnic or cultural diversity at VCU
- Performing above and beyond the routine expectations of the person or organization's position
- A sustained commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Efforts/contributions that make a significant impact on inclusive excellence at VCU
- Testimonials, awards, and/or letters of support to show the impact of the contributions/efforts
- Lasting benefits of the contributions/efforts
Four separate awards recognize students, faculty, classified and hourly staff, and administrators. In addition to the award, each recipient will receive $500.
The Riese-Melton Award, which is given for contributions to cross-cultural relations, is the capstone award. The recipient of this award will be chosen from the 2017 PACME recipients and will receive an additional $250.
- Administrator award: Administrators and those who hold professional faculty appointments are eligible
- Classified and hourly staff award: Classified staff and hourly employees are eligible
- Faculty award: All instructional faculty are eligible
- Student award: Individual students and student organizations are eligible
Members of the 2017 PACME Selection Committee:
- Mary A. Hermann, J.D., Ph.D., PACME Committee Chair, Counseling and Special Education
- Nakeina E. Douglas-Glenn, Ph.D., Director, Grace E. Harris Leadership Institute, Assistant Professor, L. Douglas Wilder School of Government & Public Affairs, and Recipient of the 2016 PACME Administrator Award
- Nicholas R. Garcia, II, M.P.A., Senior Undergraduate Advisor, L. Douglas Wilder School of Government & Public Affairs and Recipient of the 2016 PACME Staff Award
- Lily C. Hamilton, Student Assistant, Division for Inclusive Excellence and President, Queer Action Student Organization
- Tito A. Luna, M.P.A., Neighborhood Outreach Director, Division of Community Engagement
- Stacy E. Metz, Administrative Assistant, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, VCU School of Engineering
- Reuban Rodriguez, Ed.D., Associate Vice Provost and Dean of Student Affairs
- Clarence W. Thomas, Ph.D., Associate Professor, Richard T. Robertson School of Media and Culture and Recipient of the 2016 PACME Faculty Award
- Blue E. Wooldridge, M.G.A., M.P.A., D.P.A., Professor, L. Douglas Wilder School of Government & Public Affairs and Recipient of the 2016 PACME Faculty Award